Earn Continuing Education Credits through Frank Miller
“Quartersawn Hardwoods” Course #AIACES615–1/LU
Criswell Davis, Frank Miller’s Architectural Marketing Consultant, is an approved educator for the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and is qualified to present the following AIA/CES HSW course, “Quartersawn Hardwoods”. Completion of this course earns participants one continuing education learning unit. As a renowned international speaker, Criswell’s presentations are in high demand, yet he would be happy to work out a schedule for a presentation to your firm with advance notice. Simply contact him through his email: firstname.lastname@example.org or through his direct mobile number: 937-902-4727.
At the end of this presentation participants will have grasped the following learning objectives:
- Be able to explain the difference between “Plain” (flat) sawing and “Quartersawing” hardwoods, comparing the key benefits of each method.
- Understand the efficiency of lumber production and how all by-products are used, and understand the recyclable nature of hardwood lumber.
- Be able to discuss the process of kiln-drying hardwood lumber and how Quartersawn Lumber dries differently from Plain Sawn lumber. Participants will be able to cite at least two reasons why Quartersawn is superior to Plain Sawn in flooring, millwork and cabinetry applications.
- Be able to discuss the challenges of certifying the sustainability of North American Hardwoods and define the concept of “sustainable forestry” and selection harvesting. Participants will also learn there is twice as much hardwood growing in the US now, compared to 50 years ago.
- Know the realities of clear cutting width and length yields from the 3 grades of Quartersawn Hardwoods. This understanding will allow participants to design projects with these natural variation realities in mind.
- Be able to pinpoint the area from which Quartersawn White and Red Oak are harvested. Participants will also be able to identify the LEED-approved 500 mile radius circle from the point of lumber manufacture.
About the Presenter
AIA/CES Approved Provider T215: CRISWELL DAVIS
Architectural Marketing Consultant
Frank Miller Lumber, Union City, IN
Criswell Davis, Architectural Marketing Consultant, is the person solely responsible for developing and presenting the content of the program.
Criswell has been in the hardwood business for 28 years and has represented Frank Miller Lumber for 20 years. He has served on the Board of Directors for the Wood Products Manufacturers Association, the Western Hardwood Association and the Hardwood Federation PAC in Washington D.C. Criswell is a cancer survivor and now serves on the Patient Advisory Council for a new Kettering Cancer Treatment hospital in Kettering, Ohio.
An American Institute of Architects Continuing Education provider and university lecturer, he has given presentations on quartersawn sustainable American hardwoods to more than 4,000 architects, designers and students around the world over the past six years. He is currently acting as an advisor on the use of quartersawn American hardwoods for projects in the United States, Australia, India, China and Singapore. He is viewed as an invaluable expert resource regarding American hardwoods in sustainable design.